Zur Navigation springen

Paying without cash

Paying with your student ID card or the Studentenwerk Essen-Duisburg CashCard

Paying without cash the easy way:

How to get a card

  • Students and staff of the UDE, the Folkwang University of the Arts and the HRW can use the payment function on their identity cards
  • Students and staff of the University without identity card can apply for a CashCard. The card is issued without credit against a 5 Euro deposit.
    More information is available from the contacts at the end of the page.

Topping up

You can top up your chip card with up to 50 Euro in cash on the machines in the Mensa foyers. The instructions on the display take you through the process. Please only remove the card when prompted to do so by the display, otherwise the amount may not be credited to your card.

The cards can also be topped up at the checkout in the cafeterias.

Please make sure that you always have enough credit on your card, as it is not possible to pay at the checkout with a mixture of cash and card!


You will find a scanner at the checkout in the Mensa dining halls and the cafeterias. You simply place your card on the scanner, and the price of your food according to your status as student or staff is deducted from the credit on your card.

The LED on the scanner turns red to indicate that the card is being accessed. The display shows your current credit balance. When the food and drinks you are buying have been entered, the charge appears on the display. The new credit balance is shown after the latest amount has been deducted. The LED turns green when the checkout process is complete, and you can remove your card.

CashCards are available from the Studierendenwerk to students and staff of the University on presentation of proof from the university of their status and a 5 Euro deposit.

Musterkarte der Mensacard

Studierendenwerk Essen-Duisburg makes it possible for you to pay without cash in the Mensa dining halls and the cafeterias: with your student or staff ID from the UDE, Folkwang University of the Arts, Hochschule Ruhr West or with the Studierendenwerk’s own CashCard. The CashCard is available to students as well as university staff.

Muster-Chipkarte der Ruhr-Universität Bochum

The cards are all fitted with a Mifare chip with a payment function. They can be topped up on the machines with 5, 10, 20 or 50 Euro notes. When you want to pay in the Mensa dining halls or the cafeterias, you simply place your card on the scanner at the checkout.

The cards can also be topped up at the checkout in our cafeterias. The minimum top up amount is 5 Euro.

If you lose your card

please contact...


Mon & Thu13.00 - 15.00 h
Tue & Wed9.00 - 12.00 h

Café Giallo
Building T01, Universitätsstraße 2
Axel Kanert
Tel.: +49 (0)201 183 - 67 67
Email: Axel Kanert


Mon - Thu11.00 - 13.00 h

InfoCenter Lotharstraße 23,
Gebäude/Building MM,
Bettina Laube,
Tel.: +49 (0)203 379 - 43 89
Email: Bettina Laube

If you contact these members of the Studierendenwerk team and give them your cash number, they can deactivate your card so that the credit on it cannot be used by anyone else.

When a new card is issued, the old credit amount is transferred to the new card.
The 5 € deposit is not returned on lost CashCards.

Data protection

No personal data is stored on the card chip. The Studierendenwerk can only see the amount of credit and transacted amounts. It cannot make any connection between the card number and the card owner. It is therefore important that you make a note of your card number so that you can have it deactivated if you lose it.

You must not allow anyone else to use your CashCard.